EPA Approved Visible Emission Evaluation (Smoke School) Training
The purpose of the Training School is to produce qualified observers whose determination of Plume Opacity will be accurate and minimally effected by variable field conditions. Smoke School training is still the most economical, time effective and accurate way of determining your facilities compliance with Federal, Commonwealth, State and Local Opacity Regulations. Contact us for an updated list of our service offerings. Open enrollment Smoke School dates and locations, are published below at the bottom of this page.
Lecture and Field Program Activities
* The cost of services offered by Carl Koontz Associates for Initial Certification & Re-certification are as follows:
* Initial Certification includes: both the Classroom Lecture Program, as well as, the Field Training Program and is offered at a cost of $250.00 per person.
* Re-certification includes: the Field Training Program Only and is offered at a cost of $225.00 per person.
* The Lecture Program, specializing in teaching a new observer Emission Measurement includes:
* The Principles of Opacity Measurement.
* Opacity Standards in control of Particulate Emissions.
* Sources and Characteristics of Visible Emissions
* Aspects of Method-9 including proper Field Observation Procedures and Documentation.
* Special Field Viewing Problems.
* Legal Aspects of Visible Emission Inspections Compliance Determination.
* The Field Program Activities include:
* Presentation of Opacity Standards to determine Opacities of Stationary Plumes.
* Practice runs. Using sets of four readings, a series of practice runs are conducted.
* Each participant must meet the following criteria for each qualification run.
* Fifty raedings, 25 Black and 25 White smoke readings will be conducted.
* Values will be randomly presented ranging from 0-100% Opacity.
* The applicant will be required to pass on both Black and White sets on the same test.
* An average error of 7.5% or less will be required on both Black and White readings.
* No error in excess of 15% Opacity will be accepted on any one of the 50 readings.
* Certifications will be awarded to those applicants who meet Method-9 Qualifications.
Koontz & Associate,LLC helps you get the most out of your Visible Emission Evaluation Training Session. We make our expertise work for you in order to maximize your firms productivity. The following, located at the bottom of this page, is a current listing of our companies Open Enrollment Smoke Schools. If you would like the information packet on any of the following schools, please contact us at 615-310-3744 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Open Enrollment Smoke School Dates
Koontz & Associates,LLC
Spring 2021"Smoke School Schedule"
Mooresville, NC March 02, 2021
Richmond, VA March 03, 2021
Winchester, VA March 04, 2021
Davis, WV March 08, 2021
Charleston, WV March 10, 2021
Lexington, KY March 12, 2021 Indianapolis, IN March 17, 2021
Valparaiso, IN March 18, 2021
Bolingbrook, IL March 19, 2021 (Formally Burr Ridge, IL)
Wausau, WI 3-M Company March 22, 2021 ( This school isn't normally on the web site, however, it's technically public; Hard Hat/Steel Toe shoes are required on 3-M company grounds).